Go Back   Phinzmania > Miami Dolphin Discussions > Dolphin Talk - General Discussions

Notices

Dolphin Talk - General Discussions Everything you'll EVER want to talk about the Miami Dolphins!

Has The Eagle Landed in Miami?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
alen1

Credits: 158,666
alen1 has a spectacular aura aboutalen1 has a spectacular aura about
Thanked 4,789 Times in 2,530 Posts
My Mood: Busy
Gifts Received:
For all the draft work you do and to celebrate your new job! - Dolphin North 
Time Spent Online: 4 Months 2 Weeks 2 Days 6 Hours 11 Minutes 45 Seconds
Call me: Alen
Send alen1:

a Private Message

alen1 has not championed any arcade games.

Draft Guru Moderator 2009 Post of the Month Winner X2 Columnist 
Total Awards: 4

Arsenal
Default Has The Eagle Landed in Miami?

What I'm referring to is the Eagle defense, which is pictured below.

[Only Registered Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register]

The Eagle defense consists of many positions but these are very important IMO. An inside linebacker, an Eagle linebacker (which I'll explain), a SAM linebacker, a nose guard, a free safety and two defensive ends/tackles. The cornerbacks have 1/3rd responsibility and the strong safety is moved down into the box ten to twelve times (sometimes even more) a game, like Dawkins was in Denver. Here's an image.

I've been thinking about the players we've acquired this off-season and they seem to fit in quite well in this defense. Below is a breakdown of the aforementioned positions responsibilities.

INSIDE LINEBACKER: The inside linebacker in this scheme is expected to do all the dirty work. He's asked to make plays laterally against outside runs and passes but he's also asked to take on guards. He HAS to be able to stack and shed. He needs to fit his body into the blocker, disengage off the blocker and make sure he makes the play on the ball carrier or make sure the blocker doesn't go further down the field to throw blocks.

EAGLE LINEBACKER: The Eagle linebacker is often protected by the nose tackle so he does not have to do the dirty work. The Eagle linebacker is asked to chase ball carriers down, make plays in pass coverage and get to the ball. He has to be athletic, he can be on the small side as long as he has the athleticism and range to be an asset on the defense. He has to make plays. I want to emphasize the word "has to". You want a playmaker here.

SAM LINEBACKER: The SAM linebacker is like a traditional 'true' linebacker in a 4-3 defense. He lines up on the strong side of the formation, aligns his foot outside the foot of the tight end, and he has the duty of covering the curl to flat areas. The curl is the middle of the field obviously and the flat area is obviously the sideline. This linebacker has to have good flexibility, he needs to be able to roll his hips, change directions, be athletic and physical simultaneously.

NOSE GUARD: The nose guard can be a bit undersized as long as he's very quick off the line of scrimmage. He needs to be able to play with great leverage and has to make plays on his feet. He needs to be an agile player that can disrupt the backfield as well as prevent the apex from getting to the second level.

DEFENSIVE ENDS: The defensive end can also be a defensive tackle, depending on what kind of Eagle defense you are running. Nolan has run the 2-4 in the past, which would have two defensive tackles lining up. In our case, we could have two defensive ends, Odrick and Langford. Here's an example of two DT's, which Nolan has done in the past.

RUSH END/LINEBACKER: This is basically the Elvis Dumervil role. A pass rusher that plays on the weak side and does a tremendous job of getting up the field. He can be a smaller rusher but he needs to have a quick first step and explosiveness.

FREE SAFETY: I listed the free safety here because he's very important. He has to have very good straight line speed, has to have good range, ball skills and he has to be incredibly disciplined. This is where it will be interesting for Miami because discipline is very important in this defense due to the fact that the free safety will have 1/3 cover responsibility, which Renaldo Hill did a lot of in Denver for Nolan last year.

As I stated earlier in this post, Nolan ran a form of the Eagle defense last year when he went to 2-4 packages and I think we'll continue to see it in Miami. I just wonder if we'll expand on that package and go to more Eagle. The reason is because as I previously stated, we have the players for it. Here are some of the players that I think can fit the roles listed above.

INSIDE LINEBACKER: Channing Crowder / Tim Dobbins - This could be filled by either or both, really. I think we are going to see both of these guys get significant snaps this season. I think they like Crowder's intelligence, though sometimes I wonder what he is thinking out there, and I am positive they like the physicality that Dobbins brings. He's a thumper, as Fin Fan In Cali mentioned several times before, and I think he can handle the dirty work.

EAGLE LINEBACKER: Karlos Dansby - Dansby is the finesse linebacker that has a nose for the ball IMO. I think he does a fantastic job tracking the ball in the air and making plays on it. He's also got legit skills to drop back and cover tight ends if needed. I also think we could see AJ Edds here because of his cover skills and he has a knack for making plays in the passing lanes. I also think that Edds has another role on this team, which I'll write about next.

SAM LINEBACKER: Koa Misi - I really think Misi has the skills to be the SAM linebacker for us. I've seen him cover tight ends and slot receivers at Utah. I also think that he has some really good athleticism and I think he's got the hip flexibility to drop in coverage. Further, he's had experience covering the curl to flat areas and he's also willing to get dirty with the opposition. He is a physical player, despite his somewhat smaller size. I also think that AJ Edds could have a place here simply because of his cover skills. However, whilst I don't think he has the physicality to be an every down SAM linebacker like Misi can be, I think he has the cover skills to come in on pass downs.

NOSE GUARD: Randy Starks - I really think the description I wrote earlier about this position fits Starks to a tee. I think he's got it all to play the position, honestly. The nose guard can also be alternated with a nose tackle or they can be used simultaneously on the field and I think the nose is Paul Soliai / Jason Ferguson. The nose tackle position in this scheme requires the player to be a stump and he has to be able to sit on the line. I think both of them can do that to an extent.

DEFENSIVE ENDS: Jared Odrick & Kendall Langford - Watching Nolan's defense, this will be a rotational position so it will constantly change but I will just pencil in these two guys because I think they are of the most quality.

RUSH END/LINEBACKER: Cameron Wake - I think they really need to help Wake develop a second move, preferably an inside move because if he is able to, he can be deadly in this position. This position is mostly downhill and pinning the ears back. The player can be in a two or three point stance, either one, but has to be able to get after the quarterback.

FREE SAFETY: Chris Clemons - I thought about Tyrone Culver here but I really think they are banking on Chris Clemons mastering the calls because if he masters them, he most definitely has the physical skills to do the job in this scheme. He has quality straight line speed, he's physical, he has pretty good ball skills IMO and he's got the range. All he needs to do is make sure he has the calls down and be disciplined. Easy to write, tough to execute, I know but it is what it is.

In conclusion, I think a lot hinges on the development of Chris Clemons and Cameron Wake. These two guys are going to be extremely important to the success of this defense this season in my opinion. When I wrote the thread on Nolan's defense against Pittsburgh in detail, I stated that it would not surprise me if we struggled against the pass again this year. The reason I wrote that is because of the two guys I listed earlier in this paragraph, Chris Clemons and Cameron Wake.
  Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to alen1 For This Useful Post:
cnc66 (06-07-2010), danmarinobro (06-07-2010), David781 (06-11-2010), Dolfan77 (06-06-2010), Dolphin North (06-07-2010), Findifference (06-06-2010), late again (06-06-2010), Phan4Life (06-07-2010), PHINANALYST (06-07-2010), TD13 (06-06-2010)

Old 06-07-2010, 05:12 AM   #2
Dolphin North

Credits: 301,142
Dolphin North will become famous soon enoughDolphin North will become famous soon enough
Thanked 4,620 Times in 2,972 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Gifts Received:
No Message - dolphan north Magic 8 ball - where is my guitar? - Father Guido Sarducci for your support with a difficult decision - Father Guido Sarducci 
Time Spent Online: 2 Months 1 Week 2 Days 9 Hours 49 Minutes 58 Seconds
All Time Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Current Favorite Player: Cameron Wake
Send Dolphin North:

a Private Message

Dolphin North has not championed any arcade games.

Moderator Coach 2009 Post of the Month Winner Columnist 

Miami Dolphins Ronnie Brown Dan Marino Davone Bess

Quote:
Cameron Wake - I think they really need to help Wake develop a second move, preferably an inside move because if he is able to, he can be deadly in this position.
This is huge. We may be able to manufacture pressure in other ways, but he needs to step up, because Clemons, Smith and Davis in 1/3's is a little worrisome. But we cannot just sit back and wait for the offense to move the ball down the field. That's not what you teach a young defense. Could be frustrating to watch at times, but hopefully our guys grow into this defense.

Nice post Alen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dolphin North For This Useful Post:
alen1 (06-07-2010)

Old 06-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
dice

Credits: 29,111
dice will become famous soon enough
Gifts Received:
cause you are the diceman! - Father Guido Sarducci 
Time Spent Online: 3 Weeks 22 Hours 20 Minutes 21 Seconds
Send dice:

a Private Message

dice has not championed any arcade games.

I guess there can be different terminology out there today, but I understood that the Eagle defense used a LB to line up at the NT position and thus the defense had only 2 DL on the field.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
alen1

Credits: 158,666
alen1 has a spectacular aura aboutalen1 has a spectacular aura about
Thanked 4,789 Times in 2,530 Posts
My Mood: Busy
Gifts Received:
For all the draft work you do and to celebrate your new job! - Dolphin North 
Time Spent Online: 4 Months 2 Weeks 2 Days 6 Hours 11 Minutes 45 Seconds
Call me: Alen
Send alen1:

a Private Message

alen1 has not championed any arcade games.

Draft Guru Moderator 2009 Post of the Month Winner X2 Columnist 

Arsenal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
I guess there can be different terminology out there today, but I understood that the Eagle defense used a LB to line up at the NT position and thus the defense had only 2 DL on the field.
Yeah, you're not off base with that. A 2-4 package is something Nolan's used before but I think it can be modified into basically what I wrote above and what you see in the diagrams.

Last edited by alen1; 06-07-2010 at 07:44 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
Philter25

Credits: 43,753
Philter25 is on a distinguished roadPhilter25 is on a distinguished road
My Mood: Sunshine
Gifts Received:
for getting down with a 108 year old witch! - Father Guido Sarducci for making me laugh in "300" thread - Father Guido Sarducci for your support with a difficult decision - Father Guido Sarducci 
Time Spent Online: 3 Weeks 23 Hours 55 Minutes 26 Seconds
Call me: Phil
All Time Favorite Player: Marino
Current Favorite Player: Ronnie Brown
Send Philter25:

a Private Message

Salary Cap Expert Moderator 2009 Post of the Month Winner X2 
Total Awards: 3

Philadelphia Eagles Dan Marino Penn State Philadelphia Phillies Manchester United Miami Dolphins

I thought the Eagle was a 2-5? Same thing Dice said, with a linebacker lining up a yard off the LOS at the NT position.

I thought I remembered seeing Denver play some of that last year with the linebacker dropping into coverage from the NT position.

A 2-4 has a nickel secondary with 3 CB's and 2 S's on the field. I thought last year with the Eagle there were 2 lineman and 5 linebackers......

Old 06-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
dice

Credits: 29,111
dice will become famous soon enough
Gifts Received:
cause you are the diceman! - Father Guido Sarducci 
Time Spent Online: 3 Weeks 22 Hours 20 Minutes 21 Seconds
Send dice:

a Private Message

dice has not championed any arcade games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter25 View Post
I thought the Eagle was a 2-5? Same thing Dice said, with a linebacker lining up a yard off the LOS at the NT position.

I thought I remembered seeing Denver play some of that last year with the linebacker dropping into coverage from the NT position.

A 2-4 has a nickel secondary with 3 CB's and 2 S's on the field. I thought last year with the Eagle there were 2 lineman and 5 linebackers......
I never followed Denver enough to know what they did, so I can't comment on that.

I think the advantage of an Eagle type of defense is having the 5 LB's on the field (or even switching out one of the ILB's in favor of a DB). You create conflict with the C and OG's by the exact alignment of the LB playing NT. He's close enough to rush the line and must be accounted, but not committed to rush - he can drop back in zone coverage or force an OL to really extend to get to him. I understood that to be the critical piece of the defense.

IMO, if you use a true NT, then it looks a lot more like a proto-type 3-4 defense that just moved the SS in the box. I just don't find that as interesting from a scheme standpoint.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
PHINANALYST

Credits: 2,523
PHINANALYST is on a distinguished road
Time Spent Online: 21 Hours 38 Minutes 58 Seconds
PHINANALYST has not championed any arcade games.

alen, in your alignment ...

at Rush End -- we have Wake as the primary, but right now limited to rushing from the left side - which needs to change. Anderson and Misi are alternates here (maybe McCoy ... who knows), but not Moses.

If, when Misi moves to Rush End, Edds can come in at SAM ... though he lacks strength ... he can do the rest.

Clemons at FS to me is the critical link .... IF he can 'get it' this year - we will be ok in this scheme.

#2 is who spells Dansby .... when you put range and playmaker in there ... it isn't Crowder; and not sure Dobbins or Edds can be that guy either. i know realistically you can rotate Dansby and Misi between Eagle and SAM - but you need a 3d guy not named Crowder ....

Last edited by PHINANALYST; 06-07-2010 at 02:39 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to PHINANALYST For This Useful Post:
Findifference (06-07-2010)
Sponsored Links

Phinzmania > Miami Dolphin Discussions > Dolphin Talk - General Discussions