Go Back   Phinzmania > Miami Dolphin Discussions > Dolphin Talk - General Discussions

Notices

Dolphin Talk - General Discussions Everything you'll EVER want to talk about the Miami Dolphins!

Ireland Flexing A Bit?
Old 02-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
Dolphin North

Credits: 279,746
Dolphin North will become famous soon enoughDolphin North will become famous soon enough
Thanked 4,342 Times in 2,780 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Gifts Received:
No Message - dolphan north Magic 8 ball - where is my guitar? - Father Guido Sarducci for your support with a difficult decision - Father Guido Sarducci 
Time Spent Online: 2 Months 4 Days 6 Hours 36 Minutes 25 Seconds
All Time Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Current Favorite Player: Cameron Wake
Send Dolphin North:

a Private Message

Dolphin North has not championed any arcade games.

Moderator Coach 2009 Post of the Month Winner Columnist 
Total Awards: 4

Miami Dolphins Ronnie Brown Dan Marino Davone Bess
Default Ireland Flexing A Bit?

Quote:
Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland pledged to keep his size molds, drafting players who fit the NFL’s positional prototype from a size and speed standpoint.

He’s standing firm on his core believes, which is that bigger is better.

But Ireland admits that after meeting with Miami’s new assistants – especially the coordinators – he’s had to alter the mold slightly in what he’s looking for in draft prospects, and free agents moving forward.

One position Ireland specifically said the blueprint has changed was offensive linemen, which makes sense considering the Dolphins allowed more sacks per passing play than any other team in 2011.
[Only Registered Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register]

This is a good sign IMO. A coach and GM have to work together in lock step. Obviously there are going to be some philosophical differences and I think a GM who is willing to be a little flexible is going to give his coach the tools he needs. This increases the chances of success for both guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But if the Patriots are so awesome they don't need to cheat, then why were they cheating? ...nor is it what the NFL should be marketing to the young.
Gregg Easterbrook - 2007
  Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dolphin North For This Useful Post:
gunn34 (02-24-2012), Intrepid FinFan (02-23-2012), keith075 (02-23-2012)

Old 02-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
keith075

Credits: 112,097
keith075 will become famous soon enoughkeith075 will become famous soon enough
Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,288 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Time Spent Online: 3 Weeks 16 Hours 28 Minutes 58 Seconds
Call me: Keith
Current Favorite Player: Reggie Bush
Send keith075:

a Private Message

keith075 has not championed any arcade games.

Phinzmania Donator 
Total Awards: 1

Chad Henne Dan Marino Miami Miami Heat 2

I hope he doesn't flex too much...his pants will fall down!

Old 02-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
KB21

Credits: 30,577
KB21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Time Spent Online: 2 Weeks 6 Days 12 Hours 52 Minutes 33 Seconds
Send KB21:

a Private Message

KB21 has not championed any arcade games.

I think you would be surprised at just how close the philosophies are. No one really knows what Joe Philbin's philosophy on player evaluation is. All we know is who he has worked with in his history. First, he comes from a Green Bay system of talent evaluation and scouting that has been fairly consistent since 1991 when Ron Wolf took over as the GM. That philosophy on scouting and evaluation has been passed on to Mike Sherman, who was the head coach and general manager from 2000-2004 in Green Bay. Ted Thompson took over as the GM in 2005. He was one of Ron Wolf's right hand men in Green Bay prior to Thompson following Mike Holmgren to Seattle. In fact, Ron Wolf strongly recommended Ted Thompson for the Dolphins job in 2004. Miami, obviously, decided to keep Rick Spielman instead of hiring Ted Thompson. Joe Philbin has worked for both Sherman and Thompson in his NFL career. One thing about, let's call it the Ron Wolf scouting philosophy, is that Ron Wolf was always big on player prototypes for each position. In fact, I recently read an article where some of Wolf's mistakes in Green Bay were being discussed. One mistake that Wolf spoke about in this article was drafting Terrell Buckley back in 1992. Wolf's response to that was that he violated his philosophy of never drafting a cornerback that was shorter than 5'11". He also noted that TBuck was a poor fit for the Packers defense at that time, and he was not a cold weather guy. TBuck went on to be very successful in Miami as a starter for four years and then as a nickle back.

Second, Joe Philbin also spent time under Kirk Ferentz at Iowa. Kirk Ferentz is one of the coaches that have branched off the Bill Belichick tree, along with other college coaches like Nick Saban and Pat Hill. Ferentz is well schooled in the Belichick way of scouting and evaluation, which has its roots in the George Young scouting philosophy, which is who Bill Parcells also rooted his philosophy from. In fact, it is well known that if Kirk Ferentz was interested in coaching at the NFL level, Scott Pioli would hire him in Kansas City. One thing Ferentz has always been big with in scouting high school talent, and this is one area where there may be a difference in what Joe Philbin looks for and what Jeff Ireland has typically looked for is in the offensive linemen. Ferentz has typically recruited guys who were tight ends in high school that were in the 6'4" to 6'6" height range and around 240-250 lbs coming out of high school. He would take these players, get them on a diet and strength program, and develop 6'5", 300 lbs monsters that could MOVE THEIR FEET. Robert Gallery was a high school tight end. So were Bruce Nelson and Eric Steinbach. Bryan Bulaga was a 270 lbs tackle in high school. Ferentz was also big on taking high school linebackers and making them defensive ends, like Matt Roth.
The Following User Says Thank You to KB21 For This Useful Post:
gunn34 (02-24-2012)

Old 02-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
alen1

Credits: 157,515
alen1 has a spectacular aura aboutalen1 has a spectacular aura about
Thanked 4,782 Times in 2,526 Posts
My Mood: Busy
Gifts Received:
For all the draft work you do and to celebrate your new job! - Dolphin North 
Time Spent Online: 4 Months 2 Weeks 2 Days 5 Hours 40 Minutes 15 Seconds
Call me: Alen
Send alen1:

a Private Message

alen1 has not championed any arcade games.

Draft Guru Moderator 2009 Post of the Month Winner X2 Columnist 

Arsenal

Ferentz could recruit anyone he wants and make them good. He drills fundamentals better than anyone else. Just look at his OL every year.

As a matter of fact, not just Ferentz but the defensive staff as well. Norm Parker was simple, yet brilliant in his coaching. A shame he has retired because football lost a great coach regardless of the level.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Spray Mucus

Credits: 4,411
Spray Mucus is on a distinguished road
Time Spent Online: 1 Week 3 Days 3 Hours 23 Minutes 15 Seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
Second, Joe Philbin also spent time under Kirk Ferentz at Iowa. Kirk Ferentz is one of the coaches that have branched off the Bill Belichick tree, along with other college coaches like Nick Saban and Pat Hill. Ferentz is well schooled in the Belichick way of scouting and evaluation, which has its roots in the George Young scouting philosophy, which is who Bill Parcells also rooted his philosophy from. In fact, it is well known that if Kirk Ferentz was interested in coaching at the NFL level, Scott Pioli would hire him in Kansas City. One thing Ferentz has always been big with in scouting high school talent, and this is one area where there may be a difference in what Joe Philbin looks for and what Jeff Ireland has typically looked for is in the offensive linemen. Ferentz has typically recruited guys who were tight ends in high school that were in the 6'4" to 6'6" height range and around 240-250 lbs coming out of high school. He would take these players, get them on a diet and strength program, and develop 6'5", 300 lbs monsters that could MOVE THEIR FEET. Robert Gallery was a high school tight end. So were Bruce Nelson and Eric Steinbach. Bryan Bulaga was a 270 lbs tackle in high school. Ferentz was also big on taking high school linebackers and making them defensive ends, like Matt Roth.
After reading this, there maybe a strong possibility that most mocks are correct in that, if we stick with the 8th spot, Riley Reiff might be a very strong possibility. From what I've read about RR, he's more polished and NFL ready then Bryan Bulaga was coming out of IOWA...

RR checked in at 6'5, 313lbs (Jake is 6'7" 317lbs) yesterday at the combine, and said he has no problem playing the left or right side.
gunn34 (02-24-2012)

Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
KB21

Credits: 30,577
KB21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Time Spent Online: 2 Weeks 6 Days 12 Hours 52 Minutes 33 Seconds
Send KB21:

a Private Message

KB21 has not championed any arcade games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray Mucus View Post
After reading this, there maybe a strong possibility that most mocks are correct in that, if we stick with the 8th spot, Riley Reiff might be a very strong possibility. From what I've read about RR, he's more polished and NFL ready then Bryan Bulaga was coming out of IOWA...

RR checked in at 6'5, 313lbs (Jake is 6'7" 317lbs) yesterday at the combine, and said he has no problem playing the left or right side.
If I had to guess, I would guess that Miami looks defensive line first. I think they want a pressure player, but maybe not in the sense that some feel. Some think Miami will be looking at Upshaw and Ingram with that pick. Personaly, I think their size will ultimately rule them out for what Miami is looking for. I think Miami will be looking very hard at Quinton Coples from North Carolina and also Fletcher Cox from Mississippi State. Keep your eye on Fletcher. Bob McGinn, who is very plugged in, stated on twitter the other day that he's getting told that Fletcher, at 6'4", 295 lbs or so, will run the forty in 4.6-4.7 seconds. If he does that, look out. This is a player who brings position versatility. He can play both outside and in, and he has the explosiveness and athleticism to supply you pressure at both spots.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Philter25

Credits: 43,376
Philter25 is on a distinguished roadPhilter25 is on a distinguished road
My Mood: Sunshine
Gifts Received:
for getting down with a 108 year old witch! - Father Guido Sarducci for making me laugh in "300" thread - Father Guido Sarducci for your support with a difficult decision - Father Guido Sarducci 
Time Spent Online: 3 Weeks 23 Hours 55 Minutes 26 Seconds
Call me: Phil
All Time Favorite Player: Marino
Current Favorite Player: Ronnie Brown
Send Philter25:

a Private Message

Salary Cap Expert Moderator 2009 Post of the Month Winner X2 
Total Awards: 3

Philadelphia Eagles Dan Marino Penn State Philadelphia Phillies Manchester United Miami Dolphins

^ I tend to agree about DL over OL, although Id be happy with either as both are our top needs.

I think the NFL is a more passing league, as reflected by the QB stats from last year and on defense, your bread and butter should be your pass rush. Right now, we have Cam Wake and guys who could probably do a good job rushing from the inside like Odrick and Starks. If we switch to a 4-3, a pass rushing DE opposite of Wake will be up there.

However, from a financial standpoint, OT can also make some sense. With Jake Long entering the final year of his rookie deal and probably looking to make a contract similar to what Joe Thomas signed last year, from a salary cap standpoint, its worthwile to draft a top tackle, have him play the right side this year, then move him to the LT spot if we decide we can afford to pay Jake Long an 8 year, 92 million deal (7 year, 84 mil extension) with 44 mil guaranteed like Joe Thomas signed. Franchising Long would cost 13 million next year IIRC.
The Following User Says Thank You to Philter25 For This Useful Post:
Dolphin North (02-24-2012)

Old 02-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
Dolphin North

Credits: 279,746
Dolphin North will become famous soon enoughDolphin North will become famous soon enough
Thanked 4,342 Times in 2,780 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Gifts Received:
No Message - dolphan north Magic 8 ball - where is my guitar? - Father Guido Sarducci for your support with a difficult decision - Father Guido Sarducci 
Time Spent Online: 2 Months 4 Days 6 Hours 36 Minutes 25 Seconds
Current Favorite Player: Cameron Wake
Send Dolphin North:

a Private Message

Dolphin North has not championed any arcade games.

Moderator Coach 2009 Post of the Month Winner Columnist 

Miami Dolphins Ronnie Brown Dan Marino Davone Bess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter25 View Post
^ I tend to agree about DL over OL, although Id be happy with either as both are our top needs.

I think the NFL is a more passing league, as reflected by the QB stats from last year and on defense, your bread and butter should be your pass rush. Right now, we have Cam Wake and guys who could probably do a good job rushing from the inside like Odrick and Starks. If we switch to a 4-3, a pass rushing DE opposite of Wake will be up there.

However, from a financial standpoint, OT can also make some sense. With Jake Long entering the final year of his rookie deal and probably looking to make a contract similar to what Joe Thomas signed last year, from a salary cap standpoint, its worthwile to draft a top tackle, have him play the right side this year, then move him to the LT spot if we decide we can afford to pay Jake Long an 8 year, 92 million deal (7 year, 84 mil extension) with 44 mil guaranteed like Joe Thomas signed. Franchising Long would cost 13 million next year IIRC.
I agree. Grabbing that versatile RT would kill 2 birds with one stone. Badly needed help in the right side, and make it easier to negotiate with Long, not that I really want to let him walk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But if the Patriots are so awesome they don't need to cheat, then why were they cheating? ...nor is it what the NFL should be marketing to the young.
Gregg Easterbrook - 2007
Sponsored Links

Phinzmania > Miami Dolphin Discussions > Dolphin Talk - General Discussions