Go Back   Phinzmania > Miami Dolphin Discussions > Dolphin Talk - General Discussions

Notices

Dolphin Talk - General Discussions Everything you'll EVER want to talk about the Miami Dolphins!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #31
Finster

Credits: 10,541
Finster will become famous soon enough
Time Spent Online: 3 Weeks 9 Hours 55 Minutes 18 Seconds
Call me: Finster
All Time Favorite Player: Dan
Current Favorite Player: Ronnie

US Army 
Total Awards: 1

Cameron Wake Jason Taylor New Jersey Devils Davone Bess

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan06 View Post
les brown needs a line of reknown, not a band!
Good one.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #32
PMZQ

Credits: 10,992
PMZQ is on a distinguished road
My Mood: Brooding
Time Spent Online: 4 Days 10 Minutes 5 Seconds
PMZQ has not championed any arcade games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Moderator View Post
Not only are there no links between Ireland and Sherman outside of the Phins they have never been employed by any common employer
Then tell that to Brian Billick, Peter King and Charly Casserly. All three said there are, and in separate interviews about 2 weeks apart.
  Reply With Quote Go to top

Old 04-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #33
Imaginary Moderator

Credits: 122,681
Imaginary Moderator is on a distinguished road
Thanked 3,310 Times in 1,776 Posts
My Mood: Sluggish
Gifts Received:
for your support with a difficult decision - Father Guido Sarducci In appreciate to your contributions to the site. - Father Guido Sarducci Great job recruiting! - Father Guido Sarducci Congrats coach! - dolphan north 
Ribbons:
No Message - Imaginary Moderator No Message - Imaginary Moderator For your brother's safe return - Father Guido Sarducci 
Time Spent Online: 4 Months 1 Week 3 Hours 48 Minutes N/A
All Time Favorite Player: Dan "the Tan" Marino
Current Favorite Player: Ronnie Brown
Send Imaginary Moderator:

a Private Message

Moderator Coach 10,000 Posts 
Total Awards: 3

Miami Dolphins Jake Long Zach Thomas Florida State Orlando Magic Atlanta Braves Dan Marino

Quote:
Mike Shermans employment history

1978 Stamford HS
1979–1980 Worcester Academy
1981–1982 Pittsburgh (GA)
1983–1984 Tulane (OL)
1985–1987 Holy Cross (OL)
1988 Holy Cross (OC)
1989–1993 Texas A&M (OL)
1994 UCLA (OL)
1995–1996 Texas A&M (OL)
1997–1998 Green Bay Packers (TE)
1999 Seattle Seahawks (OC)
2000–2005 Green Bay Packers
2006 Houston Texans (Asst. HC)
2007 Houston Texans (OC)
2008–2011 Texas A&M
2012–present Miami Dolphins (OC)
Quote:
Jeff Ireland employment history
1992–93 North Texas Special Teams
1994–1996 NFL Scouting Combine Scout
1997–2000 Kansas City Chiefs Scout
2001–2004 Dallas Cowboys National Scout
2005–2007 V.P. of College & Pro Scouting Miami Dolphins
2008–present General Manager Miami Dolphins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Imaginary Moderator For This Useful Post:
Intrepid FinFan (04-17-2012)

Old 04-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #34
my 2 cents

Credits: 3,305
my 2 cents is on a distinguished roadmy 2 cents is on a distinguished road
Thanked 3,379 Times in 1,878 Posts
My Mood: Sad
Time Spent Online: 1 Month 2 Weeks 4 Days 3 Hours 41 Minutes 27 Seconds
Send my 2 cents:

a Private Message

my 2 cents has not championed any arcade games.

the only common link I can find or think if is that Carl Peterson hired Mike McCarthy and they are close still and Sherman/Philben were hired by McCarthy....... and Carl Peterson was also close to and hired Jeff Ireland...it is conceivable that Pete brokered some of the talks but past that slight connection I cannot personally see any real direct connections, although their certainly might be some...I personally never heard any of the connections from the sports guys at ESPN or NFLN.
The Following User Says Thank You to my 2 cents For This Useful Post:

Old 04-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #35
Philter25

Credits: 43,644
Philter25 is on a distinguished roadPhilter25 is on a distinguished road
My Mood: Sunshine
Gifts Received:
for getting down with a 108 year old witch! - Father Guido Sarducci for making me laugh in "300" thread - Father Guido Sarducci for your support with a difficult decision - Father Guido Sarducci 
Time Spent Online: 3 Weeks 23 Hours 55 Minutes 26 Seconds
Call me: Phil
All Time Favorite Player: Marino
Send Philter25:

a Private Message

Salary Cap Expert Moderator 2009 Post of the Month Winner X2 

Philadelphia Eagles Dan Marino Penn State Philadelphia Phillies Manchester United Miami Dolphins

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMZQ View Post
Ireland knows better than anyone else our cap room, and knows we'd have had to cut a number of guys like we did with Bell in order to get under the cap with a Flynn contract.
Not true.

We could have easily, EASILY, fit Flynn's contract on the books if we wanted to. In lieu of Flynn, we signed Garrard who is costing us a little over 3 million against the cap.

Flynn signed a 3 year, 26 million deal, LOADED with incentives with only 10 million "guaranteed".

He got a 6 million signing bonus (prorated to 2 mil a year), 2 million in base salary in 2012, and a 2 million in "guaranteed" incentives in 2012. All his guaranteed money was paid out in the first year.

Flynn counts for 6 million against the cap this year and gets all his guaranteed money in the first year. If he isnt the starter, Seattle will cut him after 2012.

Bottom line: for another 1.5 million against the cap this year, we could have traded Garrard for Flynn.

In 2013, his salary is 5.25 million with 2 mil in incentives and in 2014 his salary is 6.25 mil with 2.5 mil in incentives.

Add it all up = 6 mil roster bonus + 2 mil 2012 + 2 mil incentives 2012 + 5.25 mil 2013 + 2 mil incentives 2013 + 6.25 mil 2014 + 2.5 mil incentives 2014 = 3 years and 26 million with no guaranteed money outside of the first year. Basically, if he isnt a starter in 2012, they release him.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #36
my 2 cents

Send my 2 cents:

a Private Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter25 View Post
Not true.

We could have easily, EASILY, fit Flynn's contract on the books if we wanted to. In lieu of Flynn, we signed Garrard who is costing us a little over 3 million against the cap.

Flynn signed a 3 year, 26 million deal, LOADED with incentives with only 10 million "guaranteed".

He got a 6 million signing bonus (prorated to 2 mil a year), 2 million in base salary in 2012, and a 2 million in "guaranteed" incentives in 2012. All his guaranteed money was paid out in the first year.

Flynn counts for 6 million against the cap this year and gets all his guaranteed money in the first year. If he isnt the starter, Seattle will cut him after 2012.

Bottom line: for another 1.5 million against the cap this year, we could have traded Garrard for Flynn.

In 2013, his salary is 5.25 million with 2 mil in incentives and in 2014 his salary is 6.25 mil with 2.5 mil in incentives.

Add it all up = 6 mil roster bonus + 2 mil 2012 + 2 mil incentives 2012 + 5.25 mil 2013 + 2 mil incentives 2013 + 6.25 mil 2014 + 2.5 mil incentives 2014 = 3 years and 26 million with no guaranteed money outside of the first year. Basically, if he isnt a starter in 2012, they release him.
Philter, you are great with numbers on salary so I do not want to get into a pissing match here....BUT...Flynn's 2 million dollar figure is in the "not likely to be earned" bonuses...for 2012 he got a 6 million dollar bonus and a 2 million dollar salary...that is 8 million my friend and he only gets the 2 million if he hits so bonuses that in reality are not likely to happen.....for 2013 he gets an off season roster bonus and "likely to be earned" escalators of 5 million and a 5.25 million dollar salary......unless he totally falls on his ass and gets cut before March 2013 then he is likely to get 10.25 for 2013.

So we KNOW he got 8 million guaranteed in 2012 with an upside of 10 and he is VERY likely to earn 10.25 in 2013......yes he will be on their roster in 2012 but he will have to fall off the planet to not be on their roster in 2013 in reality.......you can split hairs and play with the numbers, but if you are Matt Flynn you are looking at making 18.25 for 2 years in reality.

You got David Garrard for 1 million dollar signing bonus and 2.25 salary........and no guarantees after 2012. Your choices were meeting the Seattle deal for Flynn and investing 9 million per year or investing 3 million in David Garrard....

I am well on the record as liking Matt Flynn since before he came out....but I personally do not see a 6 million dollar difference in he and David Garrard nor do I see a 9 million dollar per year QB that I have to invest 18.25 million and miss out on Matt Barkley or Tyler Bray or whomever next year to see what I have..........

Just my 2 cents...and I really do appreciate your work on the salary figures, seldom do I have time nor inclination to look closely and I appreciate that you do. thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to my 2 cents For This Useful Post:
Intrepid FinFan (04-17-2012), PMZQ (04-17-2012)

Old 04-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #37
Philter25

Gifts Received:
for getting down with a 108 year old witch! - Father Guido Sarducci for making me laugh in "300" thread - Father Guido Sarducci for your support with a difficult decision - Father Guido Sarducci 
Send Philter25:

a Private Message

Philadelphia Eagles Dan Marino Penn State Philadelphia Phillies Manchester United Miami Dolphins

^ Although Flynn's contract will be 9 mil per year if he hits all his incentives, thats not what the cap hit would have been this year.

The post was regarding being able to fit his contract under the cap this year, and we very easily could have.

Regarding the first year incentives, I havent seen the details, nor have I looked to see if they are LTBE or NLTBE, but they seem to be lumped into what the media reported as the 10 million "guaranteed"..... hence why I put "" around the word guaranteed.

Sometimes teams put silly NLTBE incentives in the contract to free up cap space and push cap hits into future years. Or else, they put incentives which are really NLTBE into LTBE to absorb cap space in that year and get credits in future years. See Philadelphia or Minnesota. I thin one year they both rolled over almost 30 million in credits from LTBE incentives not being earned. So I dont know the answer as to what the incentives are classified as or if they will be paid out this year, or next year, or if they truly are NLTBE, or if they are "fluff". However, for some reason, the media has been lumping that into the reported 10 mil "guaranteed".

And I completely agree, if he plays well this year, then he likely will make his money in the future years.

But the point was we could have easily fit that contract under the cap this year, IF we wanted to.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #38
my 2 cents

Send my 2 cents:

a Private Message

Quote:
^ Although Flynn's contract will be 9 mil per year if he hits all his incentives, thats not what the cap hit would have been this year.

The post was regarding being able to fit his contract under the cap this year, and we very easily could have.
Roger that Philter. I understand the point of your reply now. I just wanted to point out that whilst we could have afforded Matt Flynn I just do not see that type investment value...Seattle did...got it.......but I hardly see "the sky falling" for not signing Flynn for what the investment would be whatever the cap hit...cap hit and investment are as you know so well far different issues...I got which you were referring to...thanks much.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #39
PMZQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by my 2 cents View Post
the only common link I can find or think if is that Carl Peterson hired Mike McCarthy and they are close still and Sherman/Philben were hired by McCarthy....... and Carl Peterson was also close to and hired Jeff Ireland...it is conceivable that Pete brokered some of the talks but past that slight connection I cannot personally see any real direct connections, although their certainly might be some...I personally never heard any of the connections from the sports guys at ESPN or NFLN.
Its because I said it, he is challenging it.

If I said something was black he would argue that its white. It's as simple as that.

He trolls my posts.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #40
PMZQ

Quote:
But the point was we could have easily fit that contract under the cap this year, IF we wanted to.
And if you do that, we certainly would have had other guys who were casualties to the cap because you always have to keep some wiggle room under the cap, for unexpected future reasons you might need to sign someone on an emergency. If we had signed Flynn, it might have forced us to trade down so we would have more money to sign our 1st round pick. # 8 is going to be more expensive to sign than 20-25 - perhaps by $ 2 or 3 million a year.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #41
Philter25

Gifts Received:
Send Philter25:

a Private Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by my 2 cents View Post
Roger that Philter. I understand the point of your reply now. I just wanted to point out that whilst we could have afforded Matt Flynn I just do not see that type investment value...Seattle did...got it.......but I hardly see "the sky falling" for not signing Flynn for what the investment would be whatever the cap hit...cap hit and investment are as you know so well far different issues...I got which you were referring to...thanks much.
Im in complete agreement and I dont think the sky is falling either for missing on Flynn. Philbin knew Flynn better than any HC in the NFL. If he knew this guy was the next franchise QB, we would have made him a better offer than Seattle.

Even though Flynn commented that he liked the organization in Seattle better or something to that nature, if we knew he was going to be the next QB, well, money talks.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #42
Philter25

Gifts Received:
Send Philter25:

a Private Message

Quote:
And if you do that, we certainly would have had other guys who were casualties to the cap because you always have to keep some wiggle room under the cap, for unexpected future reasons you might need to sign someone on an emergency. If we had signed Flynn, it might have forced us to trade down so we would have more money to sign our 1st round pick. # 8 is going to be more expensive to sign than 20-25 - perhaps by $ 2 or 3 million a year.
Not true at all.

Garrard is costing 3.35 million against the cap this year. 1 mil signing bonus, 2.25 base salary, and 100k workout bonus.

With Flynn's contract, he is costing 2 mil in prorated signing bonus, 2 mil base salary, and depending on if his incentives are LTBE or NLTBE, another 2 mil in incentives. Flynn therefore could have cost as low as 4 million against the cap, or as much as 6 million against the cap depending on incentives.

We wouldnt have had to make any cap cuts to fit Flynn's contract within this years cap instead of Garrards, nor would we have had to make any draft moves.

On March 11, 2012, PFT had us at 11.8 million under.
On March 13, 2012, NFL.com had us at 9.8 million under the cap.
On March 31, 2012, my cap page has us at 12 million under the cap.

Those are typical variances from one page to another. Take away 5 million to sign rookie draft picks and another 2 million to carry through the season, and we have 3-5 million in cap space which is more than enough to handle the difference from Garrard and Flynn's contract.

Plus, we will potentially unintentionally free up some cap space from now on when we sign rookies to contracts and we potentially release people that the rookies might replace.

And thats not even getting into how easily we could move some cap space from this year into next year with a simple Dansby restructure. Any GM or cap person worth a lick can easily manage moving a few million around to the future, especially when you have half of your current roster's contracts expiring after this year. We only have about 70 million committeed for 2013.

Last edited by Philter25; 04-17-2012 at 03:45 PM..

Old 04-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #43
Dolphin North

Credits: 291,596
Dolphin North will become famous soon enoughDolphin North will become famous soon enough
Thanked 4,478 Times in 2,874 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Gifts Received:
No Message - dolphan north Magic 8 ball - where is my guitar? - Father Guido Sarducci for your support with a difficult decision - Father Guido Sarducci 
Time Spent Online: 2 Months 1 Week 5 Hours 18 Minutes 52 Seconds
All Time Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Current Favorite Player: Cameron Wake
Send Dolphin North:

a Private Message

Dolphin North has not championed any arcade games.

Moderator Coach 2009 Post of the Month Winner Columnist 
Total Awards: 4

Miami Dolphins Ronnie Brown Dan Marino Davone Bess

Quote:
Its because I said it, he is challenging it.

If I said something was black he would argue that its white. It's as simple as that.

He trolls my posts.
Accusing people of trolling only shows that you are incapable of being wrong. When you are wrong and have no other way out, you come up with trolling. What most people would do is politely debate the point, or change their mind at least a little on the point and re-explain their new point of view, or just move on.

Something to think about. Let's see, you have called a group of unnamed people "fanboys" or ra ra boys" or some kind of "boys", you have tried to shove my words down my throat, but it turns out they were your own words, and now I see you have called a member a troll. I'm guessing that's not all, but I can't stand to read any more of this divisive crap. Take a break.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But if the Patriots are so awesome they don't need to cheat, then why were they cheating? ...nor is it what the NFL should be marketing to the young. Gregg Easterbrook - 2007

Last edited by Dolphin North; 04-19-2012 at 03:30 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Dolphin North For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links

Phinzmania > Miami Dolphin Discussions > Dolphin Talk - General Discussions